Ballarat East Fire Brigade Engine House, Public Library and Tower built 1864 – this image taken not long after.
Showing firemen in original authentic coloured uniforms and helmets with people nearby including women and children. A shingle roofed Miners Cottage can be seen to the left, while a view up Barkly St is on the right. Fire carts are also visible with a horse just out of picture. In the tower there is most likely the fire spotter.
This image took approximately 4 weeks to colour each item individually. B&W photo Hand Coloured by Peter Kervarec.